Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Mixtape #6: Great Party Tape -- Informational Pictograms

cover art collage by GWR Waynes / StudioMONDO
I don't go to many parties, usually because I'm invited by one friend and the party is with friends of theirs. Large groups of strangers make me uncomfortable. I can be pretty gregarious and social if I have something in common with a few of the other guests but, once they start talking about things I have no knowledge of or interest in, my attention begins to wane, I start to feel out-of-place and I feel the urge to jet. It doesn't matter if it's a family event, either, as I don't really know many of my relatives and have always felt like an outsider around large groups of them.
    Also, I'm a terrible dancer. The only thing I do worse than dancing is playing any kind of sport that involves a ball. That said, my idea of party music is a little different. Being a nerdy record collector I tend to want to engage in conversations about what people listen to in their everyday lives. Most people I know don't listen to music outside of what's hot on the radio and don't go out of their way to discover anything new. Occasionally, a friend or relative will ask to hear what I think is fun music and I'll throw in a tape like this one. sometimes I get a polite "That's interesting..." or I get the full on gas face.
     Well, here's the track list for my tongue-in-cheek "party tape" and, be warned, there's nothing here to do the Cha Cha Slide to...

Recorded May 30-31, 1985:
A1 | Nona Hendryx & Material - Busting Out
A2 | Heaven 17 - (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thing
A3 | The Clash - Mustapha Dance
A4 | Special AKA - Nelson Mandela
A5 | Was (Not Was) - Wheel Me Out 
A6 | Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio
A7 | Talking Heads - Girlfriend Is Better
A8 | Heaven 17 - Penthouse & Pavement
A9 | The Clash - Safe European Home

B1 | Alphaville - Big in Japan
B2 | Greg Phillinganes - Behind the Mask
B3 | David Bowie - Modern Love
B4 | Scritti Politti - Absolute
B5 | Ministry - All Day
B6 | Gang of Four - I Love a Man in Uniform 
B7 | Let's Active - Blue Line 
B8 | The Beat - I Confess
B9 | Lloyd Cole & The Commotions - Rattlesnakes

2 comments:

Scott Waterman said...

It's a good representation of 1985.

Guy Mondo said...

Haha! What brought you here? Apparently you are the only person to have read this blog! Thanks for the comment.